.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} :: welcome to My Urban Eyes :: bloghome | contact

:: My Urban Eyes ::

All that I see, and then some.
[::..archive..::]
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
June 2003
July 2003
October 2003
November 2003
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
[::..about me..::]
[::..podcast..::]
Learning curve, commence.
[::..quote..::]
"Everything in life
is only for now."

-Avenue Q
[::..current..::]
book - none
japanese - kanji
crochet - scrap squares
knitting - lace
sounds - iron & wine
podcast - yomiuri
food - hummus
[::..cool stuff..::]
:: Adbusters [>]
:: Spacing [>]
:: They Might Be Giants [>]
[::..radio..::]
:: Transom [>]
:: PRX [>]
:: Third Coast [>]
:: Marketplace [>]
:: On the Media [>]
:: This American Life [>]
[::..photoblogs..::]
:: Chromasia [>]
:: Constant Camera [>]
:: Cornershots [>]
:: Daily Dose of Imagery [>]
:: Express Train [>]
:: Joe's NYC [>]
[::..current gape..::]
[::..site feed..::]

[::..labels..::]
blog, democracy, japan, life, media, photos, radio, random, rants, san francisco, videos, work
Photoblogs.org
View My Profile
Creative Commons License

:: Friday, November 12, 2004 ::

Advisors and Profs are There to Help, You'd Think



It's long been known that the English department's chair is an awful person. I just went up to her advisement office, where you could see proof on the door (from memory):

If you arrive within in the last 15 minutes before the office closes we will be unable to help you. Don't come in even with "one quick question", see us again on another day. Think of us like a banking instituion, with set hours that we are open.


Advisors exist to help students. At Advisement Services (a catch all for freshmen and others without majors) I've seen advisors stay extra hours, work weekends, and do everything in their power to help their students. English Advisement can't even seem to stay open on Friday.

But that's not the main reason I'm mad today. I am one semester away from graduation, and I still need to complete my upper level writing intensive requirement. My two majors do not offer writing intensive classes in this upcoming semester, as both departments are very small. Even the theatre department is not offering an upper level writing intensive.

Friends have told me that the English department holds seats for people like me who need this Gen Ed to graduate. I asked a friend if he could ask one of his favorite profs if taking her class was an option. She said to come and see her myself.

Today I did. It went like this--I said who I was, and that I wanted to be in her class. I mentioned how I needed this class to graduate, and so forth. She was like, " First thing, you have to come get the SKN yourself, not ask your friend to do it for you." Um, I asked him to ask about the possibility. I don't know if he did, but I wasn't expecting him to come to me with an SKN in hand. I was thinking more along the lines of, "Oh, you're gonna need a writing sample and her office hours are 10-2 on Monday." Or whatever. (That's another thing--she doesn't have set office hours. She is available a lot, it seems, but never at a set time. The University requires that a student be able to find a prof at a set time at least once a week. Doesn't seem unreasonable.)

And then she's like, "Oh, you need to speak with Advisement." I know everyone in Advisement, so I'm thinking I'm in. But oh no, I need to see the devils in English Advisement. Fine.

"Do I just tell them that you gave me your okay?"

"Are you an English major?"

"No."

"Well, this class is required for majors. IF there are any seats open after all the majors sign up, then maybe you can get in."

"Well, I need this class to graduate."

"You can take a 300Z course in your major."

"None are offered."

"What is your major?"

"Urban Planning and Japanese."

"Well, that's their fault. They are putting you on welfare, not offering these courses for you. They are driving you to come to us and take up seats in classes that WE pay money for."

"They are pretty small departments."

"Well, that may have something to do with it."

"I need this class to graduate. What do I do if I can't get in your class?"

"You can take any 300Z class in the University."

"Trouble is, I need the pre-reqs for those classes."

"Take it up with your major departments." I.e. not my problem, I owe you nothing, leave me.

English department, if you do not want at-large students taking your classes then make them for majors only. Or at least put a pre-req on it (this class has none). I can understand holding seats for majors (the East Asian Studies class does this). This way you assure that majors aren't shut out, which is your goal, and at the same time letting at-large students register on the computerized system. I need to have my schedule set for next semester by the end of this one. I need this class to graduate. I do not have the luxury of waiting until the first day of classes to find out if Iif there's an empty seat for me. Please make half an effort to understand that, instead of shoving me off into the newly fallen snow.

:: Kazen @ Always Doing 10:37 AM [+] ::
:: ... 2 comments



Comments:
Okay, now it's not letting me comment with the name/PW you made up, but WILL let me do it anonymously? Blogger wa BAKA da.

Anyway, that is TERRIBLE. >O I can't believe the nerve of some of the higher ups at this school. I think graduating in four years is one of those dreams that gets further and further away with time. Like, you know, becoming a famous J-pop singer with a legion of mindless fans who will buy anything with your name on it, including floss, despite the fact that you're not even sure what an octave is, let alone whether or not you're singing in the right one. Although I WILL make that happen. >O

...this is Ri (Takarai) btw. XD
 
is albany history and architecture open? it's a history class, and upper level writing.
-e
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?