.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} :: welcome to My Urban Eyes :: bloghome | contact

:: My Urban Eyes ::

All that I see, and then some.
[::..archive..::]
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
June 2003
July 2003
October 2003
November 2003
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
[::..about me..::]
[::..podcast..::]
Learning curve, commence.
[::..quote..::]
"Everything in life
is only for now."

-Avenue Q
[::..current..::]
book - none
japanese - kanji
crochet - scrap squares
knitting - lace
sounds - iron & wine
podcast - yomiuri
food - hummus
[::..cool stuff..::]
:: Adbusters [>]
:: Spacing [>]
:: They Might Be Giants [>]
[::..radio..::]
:: Transom [>]
:: PRX [>]
:: Third Coast [>]
:: Marketplace [>]
:: On the Media [>]
:: This American Life [>]
[::..photoblogs..::]
:: Chromasia [>]
:: Constant Camera [>]
:: Cornershots [>]
:: Daily Dose of Imagery [>]
:: Express Train [>]
:: Joe's NYC [>]
[::..current gape..::]
[::..site feed..::]

[::..labels..::]
blog, democracy, japan, life, media, photos, radio, random, rants, san francisco, videos, work
Photoblogs.org
View My Profile
Creative Commons License

:: Saturday, September 18, 2004 ::

No, Really, I'm With the Band



Went to the They Might Be Giants concert... it was amazing! And so many stories to tell!

Before the show they asked Street Team members if they wanted to help by collecting e-mail addys... and they picked me! I was floored! So I got to the show two hours early and asked people if they wanted to be on the TMBG mailing list. All the fans were really really cool and nice, and a lot gave me their addys, yeaaa. In return I got an autographed copy of the They Got Lost rarity collection! I'm going to put a scan of it up, the way Linnell signed his name just rocks. ^_^

Glenn had a hard time parking (poor fella, out there in the rainy Albany night) but got to the show just in time. Yea for good timing!

The opening act was Corn Mo, quite a funny guy. He's a one man accordian act, with a cymbal he could crash with his right foot (the monitor blocked the way, I couldn't see it quite). All his songs seemed to be in one key, which was a bit odd. Good overall, though.

And then... the show! The music was awesome, the band was rocking. Poor Linnell looked like he still had jet lag... either that or caffiene withdrawl. Poor guy. He actually sang two notes out of tune! He never ever ever sings out of tune. Out of tune like, I cringed out of tune. Go fig.

The venue song rocked. Flans sang it with the lyrics held out at arm's length, looking like someone who wasn't wearing their glasses and really needed to read something. -_^ The song's refrain was "no corners for you!". It was the Egg song, after all. ^_^

During Ana Ng Glenn and I did the dance from the video... I'm trying to track down the vid so I can show you guys. It's such a silly dance--the Johns don't have much bodily rhythm, but dancing is such a big part of music videos, you know? So they made up silly dances to throw in their vids. The Ana Ng dance is this vein, and when boiled down to the essentials it involves:

1. Stomping with arms in front, as if holding a large globe
2. Put right arm out
3. Bow twice
4. Jump
5. Bow twice
6. Repeat steps 1-5

Sooo fun! Catching Linnell's eye as I danced was most definately the highlight of my night. Glenn said the way he was looking at us was slightly amazed, like, "How do you guys know that?". The video did come out when we were toddlers, after all. Here's to uber-fans!!! Bwahahaha.

They sang a song from their children's DVD, which will be coming out this winter. It's an alphabetical listing of countries--"Algeria, Belize, Cambodia..." or whatever it was, you get the idea. ^_^ When they got to the end of the alphabet, though, there was a "West Xylophone". An entire generation of kids is going to grow up thinking there's a country called West Xylophone... geography teachers of the future, look out. :P

After the show Glenn grabbed me a set list, the sweetheart. Linnell's, to boot! Once again, once I get to a scanner I'll post it. It's pretty cute, if you ask me. ^_^ After the show I gathered some of the paper confetti and now it's sitting on my desk in a small round glass with my ticket sticking out. A fun momento, ne?

As soon as the show goes up for sale on the website I'm buying it. It rocked so much! I'm still in crazy awe. Just writing about it makes me giddy. ^_^

To those I met at the show, March (like the month!) and the rest--hello! I hope you found your way here! The pics will be up Monday at the latest. Drop me a line or leave me a comment, okay? It was so awesome to meet you guys!

"List girl", signing off. -_^

:: Kazen @ Always Doing 8:49 PM [+] ::
:: ... 0 comments



Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?